These are some of the articles about the ongoing research about dogs’ responses to human speech. Please read the actual articles rather than the sometimes sensationalist media reports about them. I’ve also included a response (from an article comments page) by one of the authors that clarifies the findings of some of the research.
- Word learning in a domestic dog: evidence for “fast mapping”. Citation. Full PDF.
- Border collie comprehends object names as verbal referents. Citation. Full PDF.
- Orienting Asymmetries in Dogs’ Responses to Different Communicatory Components of Human Speech. Citation and full article. Video explanation of study.
- Voice-sensitive regions in the dog and human brain are revealed by comparative fMRI. Citation and full article. Video explanation of study.
- Neural mechanisms for lexical processing in dogs. Citation. Full PDF. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2016/08/26/science.aaf3777
- Review of Neural mechanisms for lexical processing in dogs by Andis et al. Citation. Full PDF.
- Statement by first author of the neural mechanism paper (Attila Andics) stating that their paper doesn’t claim that dogs understand language or even words in the human sense.